7.30.2010

Figs?

Apparently we have a fig tree in our yard. It's pretty huge and when I went outside to check on the bees, I picked just a few of the ones I could reach.



1. I did not know figs were real. Honestly, I thought they were just an artificially made filling for disgusting cookies.

2. As it turns out, figs really kind of taste like an artificially made filling. They are kind of soft and squishy and bland.

3. I've never lived in a place where figs existed, which is probably why I thought they were fake.

4. We have a LOT of figs.

5. I have no idea what to do with them.

Jessie

Today:
1. I mowed the lawn.
2. I did laundry and then hung it out to dry on the clothesline.
3. I got an electric shock trying to turn the light on in our bedroom since the switch plates have not yet been replaced.
4. I got very unhappy and am still unhappy. Plus, I still have no idea what to do with the figs.

1 comment:

  1. Jessie - figs can really be delicious when cooked properly! We had figs growing up. And luckily my domestic cousins had just fixed a bunch, so I asked her. She said:

    As far as the figs go, here is the link to the recipe. http://bayouwoman.wordpress.com/2010/07/10/just-plain-old-fashioned-fig-preserve-recipe/
    It has step by step pictures. I followed it exactly the first time, but the second time, I added some cinnamon and nutmeg. I liked it better. It also says to cook over low heat. I think this should be medium heat, because otherwise it doesn't cook. (I learned this after cooking them the first time for 4 hours and still having raw figs.) I think she used the preserves to then make pies & stuff.

    Best of luck!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete